Utilities Extension Project

Construction Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where will work take place?

Construction will primarily take place within the street right-of-way, which is property owned by the City to use for utilities and other infrastructure needs. The right-of-way includes the roadway pavement and swales on either side of the pavement.

  • Why are there construction supplies stored on vacant property?

    Upon satisfaction of certain stipulations, contractors are permitted to utilize vacant City-owned and privately-owned property to store construction supplies, equipment and vehicles. Availability of these staging and storage areas allows the contractors to work more efficiently and reduces the overall cost of the project. Stored supplies may include piles of stone, dirt, pipes, steel, heavy equipment, vehicles and other construction materials. Rock crushing and other intensive processing activities are limited to specific sites where the potential impacts to neighboring properties can be minimized.

    Contractor Staging Yard    Staging Yard

  • How will construction work be accomplished?

    Three new pipelines are being installed. These include water, sewer and irrigation. The new sewer mains are being installed along the centerline of the street. Water and irrigation mains are placed along opposite sides of the street, typically about 5 feet from the edge of pavement. 
  • What is the construction process?

    Constructing the new City utility system involves numerous steps. The steps are listed on this website under the construction tab, process.
  • How will I be notified of construction activities?

    Tenants, residents and business operators will be notified of construction via door hangers, in person and printed notices. Construction representatives will coordinate with those affected by driveway closures, mailbox relocation and landscaping removal, if necessary. 
  • When will construction start in my neighborhood?

    The schedule for each contract varies. Residents and businesses will be notified by a flyer or by a construction representative prior to work starting. The generalized construction schedules will also be posted on this website.
  • Will there be road closures and detours?

    Road closures will be necessary to construct this project.  Detours will be clearly marked with signs prior to any road closures. Major road detours and closures are posted on the Traffic Advisory page.
  • Will I be able to get in and out of my driveway during construction?

    We understand that construction is an inconvenience. Maintaining access to homes and businesses is a priority. During active trench excavation and some other activities, such as street paving or driveway construction driveway access may be restricted. Construction representatives will attempt to contact residents prior to driveway disruptions. 
  • Will construction affect garbage pickup and mail delivery?

    At times, your garbage pickup and mail delivery may be affected. Construction representatives will work with Waste Pro and the U.S. Postal Service to minimize service disruptions. If the garbage is not picked up on the regularly scheduled day, it will be picked up as vehicles are able to travel through the neighborhood. Mail service will continue as scheduled, but some service disruption may occur. The post office is aware of street closures and will make every attempt to deliver mail without interruption. 
  • Will school bus stop locations change?

    If it becomes necessary to relocate a bus stop temporarily due to construction activities the bus driver will notify students. 
  • When will the contractor work?

    Construction crews typically work from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, and some Saturdays, if necessary and approved by the City. 
  • Will work be noisy?

    The installation of City utilities requires the use of heavy equipment, which means that noise is inevitable. Heavy equipment is used to dig trenches, remove asphalt, grade dirt and perform many other construction activities. De-watering pumps may be in place and operating for numerous days to provide a dry trench for pipe and structure installation. Construction crews mitigate noise impacts by placing pumps away from the homes and utilizing sound attenuating structures. 
  • What will happen to the landscaping and specialty mailboxes in front of houses?

    Landscaping material (such as palm trees) and mailboxes located within the right-of-way will need to be removed to accommodate pipe installation. Should landscaping material and/or mailboxes need to be removed, residents will be notified by a construction representative. Sod removed by the contractor for construction will be replaced with the same type of sod upon project completion.
  • How much of my driveway and lawn will be disrupted?

    Private driveways and other improvements within the right-of-way, such as mailboxes, landscaping, etc. may be impacted from the edge of pavement to the right-of-way line. The driveway(s), mailboxes, sod and swales will be replaced by the contractor to the condition it was before construction.
  • When the contractor tears up your driveway, how do they fill it in to match?

    Driveway replacement varies in accordance with the type and thickness of the existing driveway. In general, replacement is as follows:
*Concrete - The contractor will typically sawcut the existing driveway approximately 8 feet from the edge of pavement to provide adequate room to install utility mains approximately 5 feet from the pavement. The new driveway concrete will be replaced to match the new roadway edge of pavement. This will normally be in the same location of the existing roadway pavement unless widening is proposed.

* Painted/decorative/stamped - The contractor may bore under the driveway or remove and replace the section to match the existing driveway.
  • What safety precautions should we take?

    Safety is always the City of Cape Coral’s number one priority. Each construction site adheres to strict safety standards. Please discourage children from playing in and near the construction site. Also, please pay strict attention to road closures and utilize the detours. 
  • How do I know if my street is closed?

    Street closures are a necessary part of the project.  A construction representative will attempt to notify tenants, residents and business operators of pending street closures. All long-term street closures are posted on this website under traffic advisory.
  • What is the process and timeline for street paving after utilities are installed?

    Streets will be paved in two lifts or stages. The first lift will immediately follow installation of underground utilities. Typically the timeframe between removal of the existing road (pulverize) and installation of the first lift of pavement will be approximately 5-6 months. The second lift of pavement will be installed a minimum of six months after the first pavement lift to provide time for the plumbers connection to occur.

  • Will my property be restored once construction is complete?

    Yes, streets will be repaired or replaced, and sod, sprinkler systems and portions of driveways within the right-of-way will be restored to like conditions. If your property has any landscape materials, trees, shrubs, decorative fencing, etc., located within the right-of-way that will conflict with construction, the contractor will contact you regarding the conflict. Typically, items within the right-of-way that present a conflict must be removed within 60 days of notification of the conflict. If they are not removed, the contractor is authorized to remove and dispose of any of those items in the way of construction, per City Ordinance 83-93. 
  • I am building a new house in the next Utilities Extension Area. Do I have to install a well and septic tank system if City utilities are coming?

    No. You can obtain a Hold Harmless Utility Agreement from the City of Cape Coral Building Division located on the first floor of City Hall. However, if you sign the Hold Harmless Agreement and proceed with construction without well and septic, the Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until the City has completed installation of the utilities and the building is connected to the City utility systems.
  • What is the process for abandonment of the septic tank?

    The Health Department requires pump-out of the septic tank prior to demolition. Costs of the pump-out and septic tank demolition are typically included in the contract for the plumber's connection. If you would like to read the Health Department's Septic System Abandonment Flyer, please click here.

  • Does the person who demolishes the septic tanks need to be a licensed plumber?

    Yes, unless the property owner self-performs the work. If you would like to read the Health Department's Septic System Abandonment Flyer, please click here.

  • Do I retain my well equipment like the holding tank?

    Well and septic systems are on private property and are not impacted by the UEP construction, which is conducted in the right-of-way. The property owner is responsible for the plumber's connection and for disposal of any remaining equipment.
  • Who is responsible for damage to vehicles such as rocks, etc. incurred from construction equipment used by contractors?

    The construction contractors will be responsible for repairing construction-related damage. You may report any damage through 311, formerly known as the Citizens Action Center. A toll-free number will also be available during construction. A representative will contact you to assist in resolution of your claim.

Will construction affect trash pickup and mail delivery?

At times, your trash, recycle or yard waste pickup or mail delivery may be affected. Construction representatives are working with your trash hauler (Waste Pro) and the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to minimize service disruptions. If your trash is not picked up on the regularly scheduled day, please leave your container(s) out one to two additional days to give trash hauler extra time needed for pick up. USPS is aware of street closures and mail service is expected to continue as scheduled; however, some service disruption may occur.

If you are experiencing disruption of trash pickup or mail delivery, please contact: The North 2 UEP Hotline at (833) CAPE UEP (227-3837). It will be reported to the appropriate agency.

  • Who do I call if I have questions or concerns during construction?

    Contact Information:

    For questions related to the North 2 Utilities Extension Project: Please call 1-833-227-3837 (833-CAPE-UEP).

    For any other questions: Please contact the 311 Call Center by dialing 3-1-1 or (239) 574-0425.

    Email: uep@capecoral.net