Cape Coral Commercial Building Construction Permits
Process for Permitting New Commercial Construction or Tenant Build-Out
Research Land-Use and Zoning Codes
If owner-occupied, business owners should contact the City’s Planning Department, before signing contracts or leases, to determine the land use and zoning for the prospective project and to get a use code for the business. This will ensure the proposed use is consistent with commercial building codes and zoning at that location.
Begin Application/Permitting Procedures
Once the business use has been approved by the Planning Division, the business owner can obtain an information packet that includes all appropriate applications, guidelines and other information for commencing project. You may find the following links helpful as you begin the permitting process:
Before submitting the site plan and applications for new building permits, a business owner, engineer or design professional may request a complimentary pre-advisory meeting with permitting staff. Staff attendees include reviewers from public works, surface water, transportation, fire, utilities, planning/zoning, economic development and landscaping.
Site/Building Plan Reviews
The project may submit site-plan and building-plans simultaneously, although if changes in one require changes in the other, any expense is borne by the project. The city is now requiring electronic submissions for commercial building plans for some types of projects. This results in faster reviews. The length of time for approval depends on the accuracy and completeness of the materials provided. A complete submittal for commercial building plans may require a number of items:
Additional information or steps may be required in this process and will be determined during this stage. Click here for Plan Review Fees. For more details and to obtain the site plan application, contact the DCD's Permitting Division.
- Letter of Intent
- Sufficiency Checklist
- 7 sets of completed sealed Site Plans
- 10 sealed Boundary Surveys with legal description
- Acknowledge Form
- Site Plan Covenant
- Burrowing Owl/Gopher Tortoise Affidavit
- Landscape Responsibility Agreement
- Fire Hydrant Responsibility Agreement, if applicable
- Copy of Notice of Intent for National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), if applicable
- Maintenance of Traffic Control Plan, if applicable.
After the site plan has been approved, site preparation can begin. Approval of Cape Coral building permits should follow. Construction can begin after the approval of new building permits.
Obtain State and Local Licenses for Your Type of Business
- Every business must have a legal structure and those that are a partnership, corporation, or limited liability company must register the business with the state of Florida. Business owners using a name other than their legal name, must register a fictitious name with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations: (850) 245-6058 or www.sunbiz.org
- Florida requires state licenses or certificates of competency for a number of professions and occupations. Many require special training and prior examinations. Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation: (850) 487-1395 or www.myflorida.com/dbpr
- Apply to the Health Department for all required licenses and approvals: (239) 332-9501
- Apply to the City and County for Business Tax Recipts: (239) 574-0430
- If signage is needed at your business, apply for a sign permit: (239) 574-0553
Certificate of Use
It is recommended that 30 days before the completion of the building, a Certificate of Use application be submitted to the Building Division. This is mandatory to occupy a unit or building. Several inspections may be required before the certificate can be issued.
Contact Permitting to obtain an application for the Certificate of Use: (239) 574-0553
- Businesses located on a septic system or those related to Health Care Administration, Food Processing, Hotel/Motel Lodging or all other professionally regulated businesses may require an additional inspection by the appropriate state agency.
- Fire Inspection: Fire Prevention Bureau (239) 242-3264
- Commercial Building Codes & Zoning Inspection: Planning Division (239) 574-0546
- Building Inspection: Building Division (239) 574-0546
- Septic Inspection: Lee County Health Department (239) 332-9501
- Health Care Inspections: Agency for Health Care Administration (239) 338-2366
- Restaurant/Hotel/Motel: Dept. of Business & Professional Regulation (850) 487-1395
- Grocery Store/Deli: Department of Agriculture (850) 488-3022
Cape Coral Business Tax Receipt (BTR)
To operate a business in Cape Coral, you will need a city Business Tax Receipt (formerly Occupational License). You can download the Business Tax Application here and take to the Licensing Office. Business Tax Fees are determined by industry classification and can be found in our Business Tax Schedule.
Lee County Business Tax Receipt (BTR)
In addition to the Cape Coral Business Tax Receipt, a Lee County BTR is required. Contact: Lee County Tax Collector (239) 339-6000 or visit their website at www.leetc.com. You can download the Lee County Business Tax Receipt Application here.
Cape Coral zoning, building, fire, and licensing staff will assist you in coordinating compliance with these requirements.
Begin Business Operations! Thank you for choosing Cape Coral for your business.